Tuesday 29 September 2009

JB - Technical Analysis Evaluation

After spending time on my technical analysis with a pen and paper in front of the screen, it became clear to me that there is a much larger amount of shots than I first realised in a music video. My analysis consisted of 61 shots in total, and that was after just three minutes. Because our music video is only about three minutes long this is all I needed to realise what a large amount of shots there were. The video I looked at was Backstreet Boys – I want it that way’. I chose this video because it is a boy band, as we are doing, and because its style is much like the song we have chosen by JLS, ‘everybody in love’.

There were some certain conventions I spotted whilst analysing the video. Firstly I noticed that there were many Close Up shots, and this is a typical characteristic of all boy band pop genre videos. This goes back to Richard Dyer’s characteristics of the term ‘stardom’. One of those that are pointed out by him is ‘Sexual Magnetism’ and this is definitely something that boy band members try to show and the CU anchors this. Also I found that this video was based around a series of flashes back and forwards. This is also shown in numerous boy band video’s, usually showing a side story with a girl perhaps, mixed in with the time of the performance. Throughout the performance based part of the video which is the most part, it is clear that the ‘Meat shot’ becomes important among our genre conventions. This is definitely something that we need to bare in mind when planning our story boards and shot lists. Through the shots on the runway in the 'Backstreet Boys' video it is clear that some shots need to have very artistic features. This is important to our group when we need choose our location. Our ideas for locations so far we have considered this for example Greenhithe Castle at night. Furthermore it is evident that within all these shots mise en scene plays a large part in how the frame looks. For example in the video I studied the audience wouldn't have been able to understand they were on a runway unless there was an aeroplane in the background.

1 comment:

  1. From looking at both yours, mitches and my own posts on 'technical analysis evaluation' it is clear as to how many shots we are going to need to be taking to create a successful music video. what worries me is do we have enough locations and ideas to create up to 60+ shots? we need to chat about what kinds of shots we are going to take, perhaps not just of ourselves but inanimate objects? e.g night shots such as, cars, street lamps, shop windows, traffic and monuments?

    ReplyDelete